Chapter 3: Human Populations
After completing this chapter you will understand:
- The basics of population dynamics including how birth and death rates regulate population size, the role of migration, and how populations develop different age characteristics.
- How human population growth has varied over time, factors influencing the dramatic increase in human population, and what it will likely be in 2050.
- Where the human population is distributed, how this distribution is changing, and where most people are likely to live in 2050.
- The relation of human population to the general environmental health of the atmosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere, and geosphere.
- What the concept of sustainability is and why the number of people is important to achieving it.
- What carrying capacity is and how people change Earth’s carrying capacity for themselves and other living things.
- Why the study of human population dynamics is important to you and your future prosperity.
Use the navigation on the left to explore the resources for this chapter.